Constitution and Bylaws
Criteria for Membership
Section 1. The membership shall be of three classes: Active, Associate and Honorary.
Section 2. Active membership shall be limited to bonafide newspapers of general circulation in Tennessee. Active membership shall be held and recorded in the name of the newspaper and shall entitle the owner, publisher, editor or any person actively engaged in the management to participate in all the Association meetings and activities; provided however, that each membership shall be entitled to but one vote. Each newspaper’s voting representative shall be designated by the publisher or, if there is no publisher, the chief executive officer.
Section 3. A bonafide newspaper of general circulation is a newspaper:
1. having a name or title;
2. regularly issued at least as frequently as once a week for a definite price (not a token price) paid, and which is operated for profit;
3. Having paid circulation of seventy (70) percent or more of total distribution during the immediately preceding year, subject to independent audit if required by majority vote of the Board of Directors. For purposes of calculating the percentage of paid circulation, checking copies to advertisers and advertising agencies, plus an average of no more than 100 copies per issue for promotion copies to advertising agencies, prospective advertisers and advertising agencies and for office use shall not be included in the total distribution;
4. being not less than four (4) pages;
5. published continuously (unless prevented by an Act of God or strike) during the immediately preceding one year period;
6. which publishes news of general interest, miscellaneous reading matter, legal or other announcements and notices, and news and information concerning current happenings and passing events of a political, social, religious, commercial financial or legal nature, and advertisements or bulletins;
7. which is circulated generally in the political subdivision in which it is published and in which notice is to be given.
Provided, however, a publication that is published by and for a specific organization, association, profession, religion, denomination, or business; or is a trade journal, or business house organ, or which does not publish news and information as set forth in Subsection 6; or which publishes news and information for its particular organization, association, profession, religion, denomination, or business, is not a newspaper as defined in this section.
Section 4. Associate membership shall be limited to authorized representatives of trade journals of allied industries, advertising agencies, public relations firms and/or public relations departments of private firms and public agencies, vendors to the newspaper industry, schools and departments of journalism, and retired editors and publisher of Tennessee newspapers.
Each Associate Membership shall be reviewed at the Fall meeting of the board of directors, and the board shall approve or disapprove tenure of the membership for the ensuing year. Such membership shall be social only and not entitled to a vote.